Follow

Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone
By Leigh Bardugo


Summary:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

3.5/5 Stars

SPOILER ALERT

Overall I did enjoy reading this book. It kept me pretty interested the entire time and also (this isn't that important but) I really liked the cover. Yeah, I kinda thought that that there was trees on the side not deer antlers but I mean that's not important. However, there were definitely quite a few flaws to this book as well. One of which was the world building (I don't really know what that is called, but you know what I mean). The author creates this really magical and wonderful world and then just plops you right in the middle of it with out explaining anything. She was like was just going on and on about grishas and was like ummmmmmmmmmmmm what's a grisha. I think that the world that the story takes place in is super interesting and really creative, but I really couldn't follow the story very well in the beginning because the author never explains where they were (or what they were for that matter). Not to mention it starts off referring to the main two characters ( I mean kind of.... Mal isn't REALLY a main character..... at least in the beginning) as the boy and the girl which confused me.... like A LOT. Then they were talking about the Darkling.... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm The Darkling???????? That sounds like a kind of bird........... SPEAKING OF THE DARKLING, everyone always talks about how much they LOOOOOOOOOVE him and I think I was the only one who found him super creepy. I mean I am not always opposed to creepy. Take Tate, or Ed Nygma, or Kyle, or Jerome (Jerome may you rest in peace) or even Finch a little bit. But this was a different kind of creepy. It wasn't the kind of charming insanity that Tate and Jerome had, or the adorable innocence that Ed, Kyle and Finch have. No it was different...... Maybe creepy isn't the best word..... more like super freaking sketchy from the very start. I mean don't trust a guy who is named after an evil sounding bird (Finch does not count and neither does Lark) first of all, also don't trust a guy whose entire power is to create (SORRY summon) darkness. I mean did no one suspect that he was evil???? I mean HE CAN SUMMON DARKNESS THE VERY THING THAT THEY ALL ARE HOPING ALINA CAN GET RID OF!!!!!!! Ok but lets be honest, Mal is no better. He may be worse (probably though). That guy was annoying. I mean REALLY annoying. Can he die or something??????? All he would ever do is talk to her for a while, then get mad and refuse to talk to her for a while, then slowly start talking AND THEN THE CYCLE REPEATS! To be honest though, I would much rather be able to summon darkness than light. I mean when the lights are on it's kinda useless. OMG but the guys who can just explode your heart or whatever I MEAN UMMMMM WHAT?!?! THOSE GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!! Who needs a sun summoner when you can just kill any one without even touching them?????? Ok I feel like those guys are a little bit over powered when some grisha can only move wind or work with metal well...Overall I think this book had TONS of potential. I think it could have been better but it was definitely entertaining to read and I would recommend it to just about anyone looking for a quick easy read.
-Lily

Popular posts from this blog

Starr Fall

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

The Liebster Award 2017