Follow

Holding Up the Universe

Holding Up the Universe 
By Jennifer Niven


Summary:
Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything. 

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can’t recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone.

Until he meets Libby. When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game—which lands them in group counseling and community service—Libby and Jack are both pissed, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world, theirs and yours.
 

SPOILER ALERT

4/5 Stars

Ok so when I heard that Jennifer Niven had a new book coming out I was really freaking excited. I mean of course I pre ordered it because SHE IS THE AUTHOR OF ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES (Finch love you forever)!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way if any of you and I mean you three people (NEW FOLLOWER!!!!!! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOVE YOU!!!!!!!) who follow our blog have not read All the Bright Places yet go read it. I mean you probably have, if not because it is the most wonderful book on the planet, then because we are constantly telling you to read it. Ok so I has high expectations for this book (AND I MEAN HIGH!!! FINCH LOVE YOU ALWAYS) after reading All the Bright Places. I love that book, like REALLY love it, so you know... this book better live up to that. For the most part it did. Jennifer Niven in my opinion is a fantastic writer. Why she isn't the most famous writer on the planet, I will never know. She comes up with really funny and often relatable character that you become like REALLY attached to (aka Finch and Violet... LOVE YOU GUYS). So obviously I liked the characters in this book. Libby was cool, but she wasn't Violet. Ok so I know that I shouldn't compare two completely different character from two completely different books, but why I liked Violet so much, was because she was like me. I related to her in a way that I didn't really with Libby. I mean Libby was like SUPER confident (kinda... not really she was also very self conscious but she had a outgoing personality.. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) while Violet was shy and quiet. I personally liked Jack a little more than Libby in the story. All though Libby was super funny and I don't know how to say it... Lively? but I liked reading from Jack's perspective because of his face blindness. It was really cool to experience that or whatever. The way Jennifer Niven wrote it was super interesting. You were face blind along with him... You know what I mean? Am I making absolutely no sense? (probably). Also, one other thing is in All the Bright Places I loved Violet and Finch together. In Holding Up the Universe I kind of didn't want them to start dating because I knew that both Libby and Jack were going to get a ton of attention (mostly negative) for it and you know I had really become attached to them and I didn't want them going through that you know? (just me? Yeah probably...) I mean Libby's life was already like super hard and I just didn't want her to deal with that ok? I just wanted her to get on that dance team she wanted to be on. SPEAKING OF WHICH!!! I did not realize that Caroline was on that team. SHE WAS SO AWFUL!!!! Every time she was there with Jack I was just like DUMP HER DUMP HER!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I HATED HER!!!!!!!!! Now so the ending.... I mean to be honest if I were Libby I would have dated that other guy.. Mick? Was that his name? I mean I like Jack better than (guy possibly named) Mick, but it would be so much less complicated. Less drama, You know? K also not a huge fan of the ending. If Jack and Libby are going to end up together you have to show them together for a little while. Like an epilogue or something?? So overall I liked this book. It was a much happier book than All the Bright Places. A lot less stressful to read. I liked it a little less than All the Bright Places but only because All the Bright Places is one of my FAVORITE books (credit to Lark of that one! If you didn't love the cover we never would have read it!) and All the Bright Places has some of my FAVORITE character, so pretty hard to top it (I said All the Bright Places so many times in that sentence). K yeah so that's all I have to say. Read the book if you haven't. Actually you shouldn't have read this review if you haven't soooooooooooooooooooo. K but read All the Bright Places!! DO IT!!!!!!!! 
-Lily

Popular posts from this blog

Starr Fall

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

The Liebster Award 2017