Follow

Scythe


Scythe
By Neal Shusterman

Summary:

Thou shalt kill.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.
 

4.5/5 Stars

SPOILER ALERT

Ok so overall I liked this book. I liked the plot/story/theme/idea thing. It was interesting for pretty much the entire book. EXCEPT for the section right after both Citra and Rowan both got their new apprentice master (I don't remember what they call them exactly) people. OH MY GOD THAT WAS BORING! But other than that, it was pretty good. There were a few things that bothered me. For example I could never figure out how to pronounce scythe. I mean that is like four consonants in a row. Also, I feel like the word scythe doesn't really come up often in my daily conversations. I was constantly switching pronunciations in my head. So I looked it up (after I finished the book because I am smart like that) and apparently it's pronounced sigh-th (ˈsīth). Anyways, other than that it was a pretty cool book. Scythe Goddard was a psycho but you know, what can you do. I feel like Rowan should have just stabbed him but then, I don't know, lock his body somewhere where they couldn't revive him. Also, Rowan was kind of annoying me at the end when he was starting to find killing fun and all that stuff. Calm down there buddy. Speaking of buddy, Rowan's friend was a professional party guest... How exactly is that a job? Also, who would ever want that job? Also, who would want to hire people to come to you party? I mean, don't you have friends for that? Another thing, if I was going to be a scythe, I would not pick my name just based on the person, I am gonna pick a person with the best name. I mean, its going to be my name for forever (literally) so, if I have one chance I am not going to name myself after some fantastic person with a horrible name. Also, I would only kill (or "glean") someone with that painless poison thing. I feel like its kinda mean to give some people a super fast painless death and drown, behead, or stab another person (just saying...). Ok well, I'm done... So go read the book. Actually you should have already read the book or you just completely disregarded my spoiler warning. 
Also, just thought I would try bolding the font to try to make it easier to read!
-Lily

Popular posts from this blog

Growth and Change are Highly Overrated

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

Starr Fall