Follow

Made You Up

Made You Up
By Francesca Zappia

Summary:
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal.



SPOILER ALERT

3/5 Stars
Ok, so I didn't hate it. But I wouldn't call it the best book I've ever read. Also, I just want to say, this review is super long overdue and I am writing this out of my memory... I'm sorry.... Ok, so Lark and I originally chose this book as our second book club book (Join our book club by the way!) because we liked the cover. I mean, the cover is gorgeous! Really, its fantastic. Also, I don't know, it sounded interesting. We were looking for a book similar to All the Bright Places  because we just finished that and you know, we were not over it (still not). Some parts of it I really liked. Other parts, I felt like were added really last minute (SPOILER ALERT) like her sister not actually being there. I mean seriously. Yeah I didn't see it coming, but thats because NO ONE COULD HAVE BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T PUT ANY REASON FOR US TO THINK SO. Its like she thought of that twist right as she wrote it instead of putting hints that would make the reveal surprising but also feel real. Ok, but I am also just wondering why Miles and Alex remembered each other for so many years from and not very extraordinary encounter at a grocery store. Also, that "twist" had the complete opposite problem as the first one I mentioned. I think everyone saw it coming. Lastly, another thing that I didn't really like about the story, was her paranoia seemed really inconsistent. One moment she was too paranoid to eat any food she had without checking it first and the next she just randomly decides to go upstairs after multiple people told her not to. Just saying. Not that I know anything about paranoia soooooo... Although I have only been saying the negative parts of this book, I did enjoy it and some parts of it are really funny and entertaining so again, I didn't hate it.That's all I really have to say (and remember...) so yeah.
-Lily


Popular posts from this blog

Growth and Change are Highly Overrated

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

Starr Fall