Follow

The Forgetting

The Forgetting
By Sharon Cameron

Summary:
What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes.

Nadia lives in the city of Canaan, where life is safe and structured, hemmed in by white stone walls and no memory of what came before. But every twelve years the city descends into the bloody chaos of the Forgetting, a day of no remorse, when each person's memories – of parents, children, love, life, and self – are lost. Unless they have been written.

In Canaan, your book is your truth and your identity, and Nadia knows exactly who hasn't written the truth. Because Nadia is the only person in Canaan who has never forgotten.

But when Nadia begins to use her memories to solve the mysteries of Canaan, she discovers truths about herself and Gray, the handsome glassblower, that will change her world forever. As the anarchy of the Forgetting approaches, Nadia and Gray must stop an unseen enemy that threatens both their city and their own existence – before the people can forget the truth. And before Gray can forget her.


4/5 Stars

SPOILER ALERT

One thing that I heard a lot about this book before I read it, was that the first half was really slow. I don't really agree. I didn't find it very slow at all. I do agree that it was very confusing in the beginning. They kept introducing characters and giving little to no description of them so I had no idea what their importance to the story was, or I wouldn't remember them when they came up later. SPEAKING OF REMEMBERING I thought that the whole idea was very interesting. But see the thing is, the big reveal of the forgetting being causes by a tree wasn't very surprising considering the only thing on the cover of the book is a tree. I kinda guessed that from the beginning. I liked Nadia. I don't really know how to explain it, but you know when they main character of a book keeps making stupid decision and you start to hate them? Well Nadia isn't like that. For the most part she is smart. Gray was ok. Kinda a young adult book cliché at this point. Another thing that I liked is that the characters could figure things out quickly. In some books you are just waiting for the characters to put it all together and realize something that you figured out 100 pages ago. But in this book, the characters were smart. They were able to figure everything out, in some cases faster that I did. I know this book had somewhat mixed reviews and I was worried that it was going to be boring or too predictable( I mean it was a little predictable but it didn't ruin the book) but I actually ended up really enjoying this book and the characters. Also, I just have to say, if they have been having these forgettings for a really long time, you would think that they would have come up with a better system for recording they lives rather than carrying around books EVERYWHERE you go. Or at least dedicated more people to researching them to try to find some kind of cure. Also, normally random quotes of sections of other books or stories randomly placed in a book annoys me, but I actually really liked having pages of Nadia's book. 
-Lily

Popular posts from this blog

Starr Fall

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

The Liebster Award 2017