Follow

By Your Side

By Your Side
By Kasie West

Summary:
In this irresistible story, Kasie West explores the timeless question of what to do when you fall for the person you least expect. Witty and romantic, this paperback original from a fan favorite is perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins and Morgan Matson.

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.

Only he doesn’t come. No one does.

Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?

SPOILER ALERT
Also just by the way, if you haven't watched Gilmore Girls you may not be able to understand a good portion of this review... Sorry 
3/5 Stars

I have never really liked the young adult romance genre all that much and I tend to stay away from it. However, I received this book in my February Uppercase box so I decided to give it a try. I thought that it could be a cute story so why not?  So the main character Autumn has this almost boyfriend Jeff. Then she gets locked in a library and meets Dax (well she doesn't really meet him exactly, but they are locked in there together). So there is Jeff this nice guy who she has liked for years, who she is good friends with, and who most likely likes her back. Then there is Dax, who is the kind of overdone loner mystery character who really isn't all that nice. I personally would have gone with Jeff. I just got bored with Dax. He was the cliche loner bad boy, who is secretly really sweet and likes to read (omg Jess Mariano!! But Jess is so much better!! Just saying... It's true. I mean Jess was a much more interesting character and I DON'T KNOW HE WAS JUST BETTER). Ok so I don't really know why Dax annoyed me because he was almost Jess and I love Jess. You know what? No! He isn't just like Jess. Jess had a personality besides just being the "loner bad boy" he was funny and he actually had something in common with Rory (You know I am really really sorry if you have never watched Gilmore Girls and you aren't getting any of my references here... But you really should go watch it...). Dax and Autumn had nothing in common. They didn't really have a "surprising connection" as the synopsis suggests. Dax was kind of just bland. He would randomly completely change his personality. One minute he was being mean and rude (his normal self I might add) and the next he was just telling his entire life story to this random girl he just met. He never actually did anything nice for her, except what? Wait in the park? HE WASN'T EVER NICE! Jeff on the other hand was great. He WAS nice and yeah maybe he wasn't all that interesting but at least he was a decent person!I also got to mention that Dallin was a jerk. At first I thought he was ok. He seemed nice enough, but that kid was a jerk. Ok I am making this book sound horrible and it's not. It isn't my favorite, because I really didn't like Dax, but it wasn't all bad. The parts where she visited Jeff was good. Also, I really liked the part in the beginning when she was trapped in the library, before she and Dax had their nonexistent "surprising connection" (Ok I'm sorry, I'm being mean). I liked Autumn as a character for the most part. So people who like this genre of books, I bet really enjoyed this book. It just isn't really for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Starr Fall

Two Hundred Very Short Stories

The Liebster Award 2017